Friday, April 07, 2006

advanced MEDICAL technologies

Am I the only one who gets frustrated when finding that most references to "technology" are limited only to discussions of computers? I know it's a combination of the investment industry (which in this respect seems remarkably lazy) seeking to simplify the world so that it can post prognostications without using many words . . . "technology stocks are up on positive news from Microsoft."

But for the love of Thomas Edison, technology isn't only computers! It's bridges, medical devices, rockets, medical devices, automobiles, medical devices...

What are you going to get more excited about, a piece of hardware that can ultimately only handle or transfer information in some unique way, or a medical device that saves a life or even just dramatically improves it?

People innately don't undestand medicine and they can't be faulted for it. At the same time, it is inherenly in the interest of physicians to mystify the science. Instead of saying, "your child is bleeding from the lungs and we don't know why," they say, "your child has a confirmed diagnosis of idiopathic pediatriac pulmonary hemorrhage".

But there is good information out there, and it's getting better just as the healthcare consumer is yearning for it. Now, I'm pretty healthcare savvy, but when people call me up and ask what I think of some obscure symptom, I suggest (after telling them to call their DOCTOR) they take a look at WebMD. As for sites that are less, consumer-oriented, I like sites like MedGadget, for the fact that the site's authors are (apparently) a group of young MDs and that this leads them to a youthful enthusiasm for new stuff, even an appreciation of the technologies' missteps (see Patently Silly which I came across awhile back and recently saw on MedGadget's site) and others. If you're in the medical product industry, however, I absolutely have to recommend my own site, MedMarket Diligence.


No comments: